Healthier Kid-Friendly Pumpkin Bread
Healthier Pumpkin Bread
My oldest started Kindergarten this year, much to my joy and sadness. The school requires we pack a snack and lunch for the kids each day and it's been my goal to make sure he tummy is full of healthy food to keep his energy up and his brain ready for all the new information he is ingesting. One food my boy will never turn down is a slice of quick bread, so I have been making different breads over the weeks. We love to keep the sugar as low as possible while still being something they will desire, hide some vegetables in it and pack in protein. This bread has become one of his favorites, even reached for over his beloved banana bread. We use gluten-free flour, but this recipe works with regular flour too.
- 1 and 2/3 cup flour of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 shredded medium carrot
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (we like greek, full-fat for the protein)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts for topping
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil the inside of 9 x 5 bread loaf pan with coconut or olive oil or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves together until well combined, then set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, yogurt, and vanilla until fully combined. Add the shredded carrot then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread into one even layer. Mix the walnuts and pumpkin seeds together then spread over the top. Lightly press the topping into the batter (this helps keep the topping from falling off once the bread is baked).
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (cover loosely with foil as needed to prevent excess browning on top of the bread).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then carefully remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool completely on the wire rack.